Saturday, September 15, 2007

If it's not one thing...

It's fifty others. Ever feel like you're walking uphill in deep sand? You take big huge steps, but instead of making headway you're almost at a standstill because your feet keep sliding in all the sand? Yeah, that's me right now.

Our car has been sitting in my mother in law's driveway for a little over a month - the compressor for the AC had burnt out (or something like that), essentially causing the car to make lots of noise and not blow cold air out of the vents. I've been driving the truck, which has a bad heater core and leaky AC seals. Danny had graciously loaded it up with freon, which lasted for about three weeks blowing fairly cold air (I milked that for all it's worth! Have you ever heard anyone scream at you for turning up the AC to 2? That was me for several weeks.. Sorry Christan!). It still blows slightly cold in the mornings, but the air kind of falls out of the vents. In the afternoons, after the truck has baked in the sun all day and it's miserably hot and humid outside - no cold air. So I got paid Friday (get paid twice a month, kind of sucks), of course Danny got paid Friday and got his bonus, so we put the car in the shop to get it fixed, and picked it up Friday (I actually got off from work early - woo-hoo!). The car started right up, sounded great (well, for the most part - we have "transmission noise" that's "common" in mustangs, a little on the loud side, but it'll be fine "for a while"). Danny has a tournament today, so we went to hit at the local rec center, and when we got ready to leave - nothing. No click, no attempt to turn over, nothing. !@#$%^&#!

The battery was dead. WHAT?!? I just bought a battery - it's barely been a year! I installed it myself, so I remember! So off to Napa I go today, to get it replaced because it is thankfully under warranty. Before I do that, I'm washing and vacuuming the car, because as soon as that b*tch has a battery in it and I'm fairly confident it will start after I turn it off, I'm going car shopping... :)

Having already driven my FX 35 and Lexus RX 330, nothing really looks good, though. I totally spoiled my dinner by eating desert first. I've driven a Toureg(not a lot of pick up from a dead stop), the aforementioned Lexus (OMG!!!), the Infiniti (WOW - and OMG!!!), and intend today to drive a Ford Edge (I think it must be one of those self torture things??), perhaps a Mazda CX7, and I don't really know what else - a Murano perhaps? a Pathfinder? I really don't know. Wherever the wind (and my car) takes me. I'm trying to keep an open mind and look at cars (real "cars", not the SUV or CrossOver type), but there really aren't any that trip my trigger. If I can't find something I like (and willingly without malice make the payment for), I'll stick to my car with questionable reliability that I tend to get to drive an average of 10 months out of each year - because the other 2 months, it's sitting waiting to be "fixed". Guess we'll see what happens.

No comments: